Article: Navigating Change: The Case for Context - July 2020
A Conversation with Tony Dale, SVP Everyday Health Professional & CRO MedPage Today
Across all Society Partner Content
CROI Virtual Conference Coverage 3
The Changing Mindset of an HCP: Telehealth, Prescribing Patterns Shifts and Patient Needs
- Digitizing the Point of Care with a ‘virtual waiting/exam room’ experience can create effective and scalable platforms for engagement with pharma messaging
- Providing HCPs digital patient support and integrated services alongside ePrescribing capabilities and workflow functionality of current telehealth platforms
- Provide telehealth resources, tips and best practices to the 87% of surveyed MedPage Today subscribers who are actively using telehealth 5
Changes to Prescribing Behaviors
However, our survey uncovered the trend is towards the consideration of the larger implications for a specific treatment plan amidst the pandemic. They are writing longer supplies, prescribing safer dosages and consciously thinking of ways to minimize complications like side effects. 5
This new mindset means HCPs may become more comfortable with increased lengths of therapy and alternate dosage considerations. This may translate into higher dollars initially for a brand, but conservative approaches by HCPs may make NRx switches more difficult down the road and could require stronger messaging to inspire changes to treatment approaches. Thus, an opportunity presents itself for additional HCP support tools and messaging about dosing, side effects, and safety information now, before behaviors become entrenched.
The Case for Context
The trend toward the reliance on digital news, information and tools by HCPs has been growing for several years but the true tipping point is upon us. The digital-first healthcare professional is here. Given these implications, there is a strong case to be made for improving how we can respectfully and effectively engage HCPs with messaging and programs. Put simply, the mindset of the HCP matters. An HCP who is accessing clinical news and information has chosen to self-educate with a level of professional interest and intent. Many would argue that this is the most appropriate and respectful time and venue to deliver your brand messaging and content versus messaging in the ‘recreational’ environments found in non-endemic content and websites. The venue matters.
And the context for HOW we engage matters:
- Deliver an increased level of authenticity and relevancy in messaging and execution, which is paramount in meeting the expectations of HCPs and patients. This is the new context by which we need to market our brands
- Consider limiting promotion emails that fill their inbox and providing more on demand support and resources and shorter form messaging
- Align tactics to the correct HCP segment and information gathering mindset such as news, education, medical reference, etc. A one size fits all approach will be met with increased resistance as expectations increase, particularly in the digital environment
- Leverage partners who can ‘execute with context’ using deep segmentation, sequenced messaging, and physician level data. As rep visits decrease, the ability to replicate in-person promotional strategies and to learn and adjust in real time will only become more important moving forward
Publishers providing immersive environments allow the ability to thread the user down a path with relevant brand messaging and content. Striking the right balance between venue and context, your messages are delivered in a respectful way that the user feels they have chosen – allowing you to leverage scale and create greater impact for your clients.
Referencing & Sourcing Information
- Dale, Tony. Article: “Non Personal Promotion in the Wake of a Wildly Changing Digital Landscape”. DHC, Digital Health Coalition. April 2020. https://digitalhealthcoalition.org/article-non-personal-promotion-changing-digital-landscape-april-2020/
- Med Page Today Internal Data Mar-May 2019 and Mar-May 2020
- Med Page Today Internal Data May 2019 and May 2020
- MM&M Optimize Rx Webinar. (2020). Digital Engagement and NPP for Pharma During COVID-19 Pandemic. https://www.workcast.com/ControlUsher.aspxcpak=1495492611879176&pak=5679348446886728
- MedPage Today Survey, Changing Landscape of Patient Care. May 2020.
- Dorfman S, Freid J, Henault F, et al. What HCPs Want and Need from Life Sciences Companies During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Survey conducted by: CMI Media and Compas Inc. (CMI/Compas). Update as of April 10, 2020.
- Kanski, Alison. Study: Physicians Changing Prescribing Habits, Embracing Telemedicine During COVID-19. Survey conducted by: AbelsonTaylor. Update as of April 20, 2020